Sunday, February 14, 2010

रेतिरेमेंट speech

When I think about my dad, I think of the quote ‘genius is eternal patience’ by Michelangelo. The reason I think of this particular saying is that often times John Ferrick has ideas that appear eccentric, but usually he has the last laugh. Like the karate kid questioning mr. miyagi, the Ferrick boys sometimes questioned some of his methods growing up, not always realizing there was sometimes a reason and a purpose for ‘wax on, wax off.’ I think the older I get the more I appreciate dad’s unconventional ways, and I often, although not always, find myself agreeing with him in ways I didn’t before.
The retirement of John Ferrick is a milestone in our family history. It reaffirms our belief in miracles. I personally wasn’t sure as of a year or two ago whether my dad was going to retire at all. It seemed as if he was going to keep working forever. I’m pleased that he has decided to move on so that he can persue other interests in his life. And now he can finally get a little rest! I remember my dad waking up early every morning, for years, and leaving for work at the crack of dawn. He not only put in a lot of overtime at the post office, in an environment that wasn’t always conducive to his well being, and on top of that he put in a lot of time as a union representative, for many years being President of the union. He did certain things at the Post Office that I’m sure he’ll be remembered for, like fighting to have cigarette smoking banned indoors, which I’m sure wasn’t a popular decision with a lot of the employees, but one that many other people surely appreciated.
And he’s apparently going out without a whimper- I just found out he’s decided to continue contributing writing articles for the union newsletter. I like reading them, as they’re filled with honest insight, stoic and philosophical wit in an environment where such wisdom is needed even if not always welcomed. I think that place is going to miss my dad. As I was driving by the post office in December, I realized it was first time in my entire life that I was passing by it and my father was no longer working there. So, after growing up in south central los angeles, going to catholic high school, surviving Vietnam and over 38 years at work, it’s time for Dad to relax or not to relax, deciding his next move in peace. And I gotta say for 64 years old, he’s still looking pretty young and is still full of hip ideas. So we’re expecting the next miracle: those two 1954 chevys in the back yard will be running in no time. Thanks dad for all the sacrifices you made for us, take a deep breath and enjoy a very significant birthday celebration.

No comments: