Sunday, March 20, 2016



 
 
Should corporations be awarded religious freedoms? For me, as a libertarian, this is a difficult question. I feel that we as a society should not inflict our religious beliefs on each other in the workplace. But I also feel that business owners have the right to run their business as they see fit. I guess these views are not fully compatible. Through some soul searching that I've taken, I'm more on the side of the businesses to choose how they want to run themselves in terms of religious freedoms as opposed to the employees and their need to be taken care of. If the corporation is upfront about their position from the very beginning, A person can choose not to work for them.
 Business owners and entrepreneurs are up against a lot in this nation. Various codes are stringent and one can easily lose their ability to do business. Permits are costly. It takes a lot of courage to start a business or corporation. I feel like they should have the right to run it how they see fit. As much as I wish I was more liberal on the subject, I just can't seem to side with the employees in most cases. Although a person who is running a business has no right to inflict their views on other people, I think it's worse to go work for somebody and then expect them to capitulate to your demands regardless of how they feel about this. At the same time, I feel that the business or corporation needs to be honest with their employees from the get go so that they know what is and isn't available to them.
As I argued in my debate, Hobby Lobby offered several forms of contraception for their employees. They just didn't want to participate in anything that would be damaging to an embryo anytime post-fertilization, including sponsorship of the morning after pill.
 
 

No comments: