Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pico Robertson

Pico Robertson By Jeremy Ferrick- for Beginning Screenwriter class, Mr. Domokos.
INT. DAVID AND IRENE BILOVSKI’S APARTMENT IN PICO ROBERTSON. AN ELDERLY OUTSTRETCHED ARM REACHES ACROSS AN OLD MAGNAVOX RECORD PLAYER AND DROPS A RECORD ONTO THE TURNTABLE. THE SONG IS DAVID ESHET’S “JERUSALEM OF GOLD.” WE SEE THE RECORD COVER WHICH    HAS A PICTURE OF THE SINGER, AND IT SAY DAVID ESHET: JERUSLEM OF GOLD- SONGS OF THE 6 DAY WAR. AND THAN WE SEE DOWN THE ARM WHICH WHICH IS COVERED WITH A SMALL TATTOO OF A 7 DIGIT NUMBER-THE MARK OF A HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR. NEXT WE SEE THE WHOLE FIGURE, A MAN OF ALMOST 90 YEARS OLD. HE HOLDS A SERENE SMILE ON HIS FACE, LOOKING A BIT TIRED.  HE SINGS A BIT WITH THE SONG, AND HIS EYES  ARE   SLIGHTLY WET- HE LOOKS OUT THE WINDOW.                  
EXTERIOR SHOTS AROUND THE PICO ROBERTON NEIGHBORHOOD SHOW HASIDIC JEWS WALKING AND TALKING, OVERDRESSED FOR THE WARM WEATHER, ALONG WITH SECULAR SHOP KEEPERS, AND NON JEWISH ETHNICITIES, AFRICAN, MEXICAN  WORKERS PUSHING CARTS IN THE BACK OF EILAT’S GROCERY, ETC.  SNAPSHOTS OF VARIOUS PEOPLE ARE TAKEN FROM LIVE ACTION SHOTS AND CONVERED INTO PHOTOS OF BLACK AND WHITE TO LOOK AS IF THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN MANY YEARS AGO, AS THOUGH IN AN OLD SCHOOL SHTETL. THAN THE RECORD STOPS ALONG WITH THE ACTION. NOW WE’RE BACK TO DAVID AND IRENE’S APT. WHERE GRANDMA IRENE, 82, BARGES IN IN AN OVERBEARING MANNER. 
Irene
(Sharply) What are you doing sleeping in the middle of the daytime? (He looks back at her blankly, nods slightly.) That's why you're always tired at night!
Sam
 Dear, I wasn't sleeping, just resting......
Irene
The hell you were!!
Sam
                             Yes I was! I was waiting for you.
Irene
Well then come with me to the store.
Sam
It’s so hot out! Turn the music back on, we'll have a dance.
Irene
No, and No!  You're coming with me to Eilat's. I need to get some onions, some   lettuce, And some eggplant.
Sam
 The eggplant can wait-
Irene
 No I’m afraid it can't.

Interior: Global Shwarma Falafel shop: Marty, 25, is getting off of work. Jackson 5's "ABC SONG,” or something equivalently energetic blasts on an old school 80’s beatbox.His girlfriend Bethy , who is David and Irene’s granddaughter 25,comes in and they start dancing and singing with the music.
                                                            Marty
(Singing) O.C.D., it’s easy as A.D.D., come on come on, it’s A.D.D. baby you and me. (Bethy sees her grandparents across the street, she runs to the door)
                                                            Bethy
Bethy: Hi grandpa henry! Hi grandma! (They wave and Irene pulls him by the arm into the store by which is directly across the street.) They're so cute, they look like little school kids.
Marty
Yeah but she orders him around too much. That ain't ever happening with me. (He grabs her and kisses her) I'm the boss of you, woman. Not the other way around.
Bethy
Watch it! not so rough!

Exterior: Movie Theater on Beverly Blvd. Bethy and Marty are walking out arm and arm.
                                                            Marty
That was like, definitely one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.
Bethy
It was really great. (Looks at her watch.) We have like, an hour until  Sunrise- we better get to mom and dad’s house.
                                    Marty
 What? I thought we were going to my uncle’s place for Shabbas. You liked it so much better over there!
Bethy
I loved it! But last week I told you that if we went to your family's  house for Shabbat, you'd have to come to mine this week.
Marty
I know. I was hoping you'd forget.
                                    Bethy
Why Marty? My dad's a sweetheart once you get to know him.
Marty
I did used to know him remember?  He loved me before I hit puberty. God, I gotta get out of this town. It's just too much goddamn fun here. But then on the other side of the coin I gotta put up with this crap.
Bethy
He's got a heart of gold. He's a good dad. Come on, I'll pick up some challah.

Int.Canter’s Bakery. Crowded, noisy, buzzing. They resume the conversation.
Marty
He hates me. Not that I really care that much.
                                    Bethy
He does not hate you!  He even said he wanted you to come for dinner!
                                    Marty
Yeah so you’d be there- he’s finally accepted the fact that we’re the two headed monster. If he could split us up, he would.
Bethy
            That's only partially true. He wants to see if he can reform you first- he wants to give you                A chance!
                                               
Marty
Well whatever. I guess I'm obligated. Damn it I  wish I was still taking those debate classes. My argument skills are going to need some sharpening up.
Bethy
 What needs sharpening up is your wardrobe. But I love you anyways. (She kisses him.)
Interior, Bilowski household. The youngest, Michael is sitting next to his dad Eli as they study from the Torah. Hilda, the mother, is boiling chicken soup and chopping vegetables. Bethy and Marty walk in. Marty goes to the Eli and they shake hands respectfully.
                                                            Eli
Hello Moishe.
                                    Marty
 I don't actually go by Moishe anymore, Mr. Bilovski. I'm Marty. Just plain Marty now.
                                    Eli
                        Why is that? I always loved the name Moishe!
                                                            Marty
I just never really felt like it was my real name. (to Hilda) Hi Ms. Bilowki.
                                    Hilda
Hello. Did you bring your appetite? I hope so being that I cooked for the whole army.          You don't have to be shy tonight.
                                    Marty
Am I ever?
                                    Eli
No, just shy about your heritage. Remember your Bar Mitzvah? It was beautiful! I always thought you had the makings of a Rebbe. What are you doing now?
Bethy
Marty wants to join the peace corps!
                                    Eli
Whatever happened to studying in Israel?
                                    Marty
Nah, I don't want to do that anymore. I don't consider myself a Zionist anymore.Jewish, yes. Zionist, no. Nobody has more of a right to that land then anyone else....
Eli looks like he's going to pop a vein but luckily the grandparents Henry and Irene come in and ruin the argument.
Henry
 (Setting down a bottle of Manischevitz wine.) Good evening everyone!
Irene
 (Snapping at him) Put this in the fridge before it gets warm! (Bethy goes and
gives them both a hug.)

Cut to: Katie's house. Katie is a gothy esthetician, and David's girlfriend. David is Eli and Hilda’s son, and a musician. She is applying eyeliner to him. Jane's Addiction's three days blasts. He looks in mirror.
Katie
 So sexy.
David
 My dad is going to kill me! (They kiss.) Seriously, can we get this off?
                        Katie
No. keep it on! Do one thing wild every week.They’ll  get used to it.
David
You don't know them. My mom and dad are  Jews from last century. They're
like straight out of a black and white photograph.
Katie
So what. My dad's a quaker! (David sighs and looks up at the ceiling, the scenery fades along with the music.)


No comments: