Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Wanderer of Leixlip.

"...And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yeat a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. And the son said unto him, FATHER, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, am no more worthy to be called thy son. But the Father said to his servants, bring forth the best robe, and put it on him: and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: and bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it: let us eat, and be merry. for this my son was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry."
LUKE 15:20-24
     The silence in the ourr household was prevalent as usual around the time of 630 pm- except the kling klang of forks hitting the China plates like a faint churchbell ringing in the distance. Alfred the elder finished slicing a bit of pork. He than paused and looked across the table at me, Alex, his only son.
    "I don't want you to go," He said, his northern brogue rising up and down charismatically. My face felt red hot as I squeezed my eyes shut tight. I opened them slightly and stared down at my mashed potatoes.I did not want to look up at   dad.
   "But all of my friends will be there."
   "Ya can't go." This time he was more firm, as if I hadn't gotten the proper message the first time. "
    "I'm 16 years old- shouldn't I be allowed to go out with my friends on a friday night?"
    "Only friend you need is Christ, son. You don't need to lose your salvation through being around lewd talking, drinks and smokes."
   I could've mouthed that sentence by now. My thoughts turned to MA. She would have let me go. I imagined her smiling, those warm brown eyes, with hands reaching out to touch my shoulder.
    "I remember how kids were at your age- don't forget. I was one."
    Well, at least he was emphasizing with me. I couldn't imagine him ever having fun, or getting into mischief. I tried to change my thoughts because I felt like Dad could hear them.
    "I'm only doing it for your own good, son. When you grow up and move out on your own you will have free will to do what you like. But you're still under my roof and my rules."
    I put down my fork and stared again at the potatoes. I hated it when he said he was doing it for my own good.
    "You aren't going to finish your potatoes than?"
    "Lost my appetite."

No comments: